ESA Summer Online 2020
European Speedrunner Assembly
July 24 – August 2 CEST
ESA Summer Online 2020 will be running in the place of ESA Summer, with ESA Summer postponed to October. ESA is a week-long event, with the primary goal of raising money for a charity.
ESA Summer Online will still be raising money for Alzheimerfonden. This is the Swedish Alzheimer’s Foundation which supports all types of research on Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia diseases. Applications for grants are assessed according to scientific quality. The goal of the Council’s work is to get maximum dividends on the research money for affected patients and their relatives.
- Submission Phase: June 13th (1800 CEST) – June 21st (including)
- Schedule Release: July 12th
- Event Dates: July 24th – August 2nd
If you are already familiar with the submission guidelines for our online marathons, not much will change. However, we will be allowing races again under certain conditions (read more below).
If you are not familiar, please refer to the complete information on our Game Submission Info page.
There will be a limit of five submissions per runner. This includes different categories.
In order to maintain the high standards we have established on the ESA channel, we are setting some technical requirements. The following conditions apply:
- Runners should be able to stream to Twitch at a bitrate of at least 2.5 Mbit. Depending on your game and resolution you might be able to get away with less. Submit your video and let us be the judge!
- Runners must use a face camera for their run during the marathon. This is non-negotiable. With programs like iVCam, your phone can easily be used for this purpose.
- Races may be permitted if they fulfill the following criteria:
- The race must be between not more than two people.
- Both runners must fulfill the above stated quality requirement and use a face camera.
- The submission must include at least one dedicated commentator who will take on the commentary for the entirety of the race. Runners themselves will not be able to provide commentary during the run except for shoutouts at the end and/or an introduction in the beginning.
- Co-Op runs may be permitted if all runners can be at the same location and on camera, but please don’t jeopardize your own as well as your fellow humans’ health by travelling long distances to meet up. If you want to bring along a co-commentator via Discord, feel free to do so!
When submitting your game you will be asked to provide a short description about the game as well as the run/showcase/exhibition, a video showcasing it as well as information about your personal progress in the game. Make sure that this video also meets the specifications listed above!
Bonus points for submitting a video with marathon-like commentary!
Please state your availability during the event as clearly as possible (preferably in CEST) in your submission comment. Keep in mind that very short availability windows can cause massive headaches for us when creating the schedule and we may have to reject runs because of this. We will do our best to consider all the different time zones when creating the schedule.
For more information about the submission form, our guidelines and our philosophy, please refer to the Game Submission Info page.