ESA Summer 2021
July 24, 2021 – July 31, 2021 CEST
ESA Summer 2021 is a week-long speedrunning marathon that will feature speedrunners and score-attackers from all around the world with the primary goal of raising money for charity.
ESA Summer 2021 will be raising money for Save the Children. Their goal is to improve the lives of children everywhere through better education, health care, and economic opportunities. Save the Children respond to major emergencies, deliver innovative development programmes, and ensure children’s voices are heard through our campaigning to build a better future for and with children.
- Submission Phase: May 16th (1800 CEST) – May 30th (including)
- Volunteer Applications (Fundraising, Tech, Social Media & Chat Moderation): May 16th (1800 CEST) – May 30th (including)
- Schedule Release: June 27th
- Event Dates: July 24th – July 31st (potentially starting July 23rd with a pre-show)
- Prize Submissions: May 16th – June 30th (Submission Form)
Game submissions for this event will go through Oengus this time! Therefore the process will change slightly, but should be pretty self-explanatory and very familiar to the ones of you who have already used Oengus in the past. Please make sure to read our revised Game Submission Info page.
There will be a limit of five submissions per runner. This includes different categories.
Until further notice, we will not be able to feature games that make use of licensed music, unless it can be completely muted / removed from the showcase. Unfortunately this includes most music games.. If you have experienced Content ID claims for music in videos of your submitted game(s) on YouTube, please let us know in the comment.
The following conditions apply:
- Runners should be able to stream to Twitch at a bitrate of at least 2.5 Mbit. Depending on your game and resolution you might be able to get away with less. Submit your video and let us be the judge!
- Runners must use a face camera for their run during the marathon. This is to maintain the high production standard we set for all our flagship marathons, and no exceptions will be made. With programs like iVCam, your phone can easily be used for this purpose.
- Races may be permitted if they fulfil the following criteria:
- The race must be between not more than two players.
- Both runners must fulfil the above stated quality requirement and use a face camera.
- The submission must include at least one dedicated commentator. Runners may still be able to talk on stream, but we believe that a commentator able to keep track of both player’s progress is important to make the race clear and entertaining for viewers at home.
- Co-Op runs may be permitted if they fulfil the following criteria:
- If taking place entirely online the showcase might not include more than two screens. More players may be permitted, but we will always only be showing a maximum of two feeds.
- Runners shown on stream must fulfil the above stated quality requirement and use a face camera.
- If you want to bring along a co-commentator via Discord, feel free to do so!
When submitting your game you will be asked to provide a short description about the game as well as the run / showcase / exhibition, a video showcasing it as well as information about your personal progress. Make sure that this video also meets the specifications listed above!
Bonus points for submitting a video with marathon-like commentary!
Please state the time zone you’re living in as well as your predicted availability during the event (preferably in CEST) in the relevant text field as well as Oengus’ own availability picker. Keep in mind that very short availability windows can cause massive headaches for us when creating the schedule and we may have to reject runs because of this. We will do our best to consider all the different time zones when creating the schedule.
Marathons like this one are impossible without the hard working volunteers behind them. For ESA Summer 2021 these teams are looking for volunteers:
- Fundraising (Host / Donation Screening): Be the voice of the marathon on stream and/or the helping hand in the background, screening all incoming donations.
- Tech / Production: Bring on the show using our in-house tools. You also control the timer…
- Social Media: Prepare tweets for runs prior to the marathon and embellish our social media presence during the event.
- Chat Moderation: Make the chat a positive place where people can talk about what is happening on stream and have fun.
Volunteer Applications can be sent in over at https://submissions.esamarathon.com/dashboard/applications